Knightswood is a suburban district in Glasgow, containing 4 areas: Knightswood North or High Knightswood, Knightswood South or Low Knightswood, Knightswood Park, and Blairdardie. It has a golf course and park, and good transport links with the rest of the city. Garscadden and Scotstounhill railway stations serve Low Knightswood while Westerton station serves High Knightswood. Knightswood is directly adjoined by the Anniesland, Drumchapel,Jordanhill, Netherton, Scotstoun and Yoker areas of Glasgow and by Bearsden in the North. Knightswood was a rural area of Dunbartonshire in the parish of New Kilpatrick with small-scale mining until the land was purchased for housing by the city of Glasgow and was annexed by the city in 1926. In subsequent years, housing developments have been built on most of the remaining free plots, but the area remains largely green, in line with garden suburb principles, with the only businesses based in small or medium-sized retail units. There are a number of churches and various community events are run throughout the year.
Knightswood features on maps by Ordnance Survey cartographer William Roy dating back to 1748-55, which show it lying within the parish of New Kilpatrick in Dumbartonshire. The modern area is defined at its northern edge by theForth and Clyde Canal (beyond which is Bearsden) which began construction in the 1760s and opened as the Great Canal in 1790. Drumchapel and Yoker lie to the West, beyond Duntreath Avenue and Yoker Mill Road. At its southern edge, Knightswood is bounded by Anniesland Road, beyond which lies Jordanhill and Scotstoun. Nethertonand Temple lie to the East. Both of these settlements (with Jordanhill and Scotstoun) appear on Joan Blaeu‘s 1662 Atlas of Scotland, but Knightswood is not shown, either omitted or not yet of significance. The earliest recorded settlement (1740) in the Knightswood area was known as the Red Town, a small village supporting ironstone miners and brickmakers.
Just before the First World War, Knightswood consisted of an Infectious Diseases Hospital (founded 1877) with a line of terraced cottages to the north called Knightswood Rows, a few houses on the site of Knightswood Secondary School (all that remained of Red Town), but the area was otherwise unpopulated farmland and disused mineworkings.
Great Western Road was constructed under government patronage between 1924 and 1927 from Anniesland Cross to Duntocher, north of Clydebank. Much of the housing in the area was constructed in three phases during the 1920s and 1930s on garden suburb principles. This housing was mainly of cottage flat andsemi-detached types, and is similar to other parts of the city such as Mosspark in the South Side and Carntyne in the East End and used for the relocation of people from slum tenements cleared near the city centre. Land surrounding the junction of Great Western Road and Knightswood Road was designated for the use of several church denominations, and the nearby Knightswood Park, but there were no designated industrial areas or public houses, which remained in adjacent Temple and Scotstoun/Yoker.
In 1926, the district was brought under the control of the city of Glasgow, which had purchased land outside its boundary from the Summerlee Iron Company for the building of the estate.